2011 Great Carrying Place Artifact Discoveries
On August 20, eleven AEHS members went up to the Great Carrying Place in the Maine wilderness to search for the site of the log hospital built by Arnold’s men in October 1775. Traveling back to the general area of a site that the group located in 1974, the party began locating artifacts almost immediately. Before they called it a day, they had located dozens of artifacts from the location of a major campsite used by the expedition.
Among the highlights are a pewter spoon, pocket knife, uniform button, polling axe, musket balls, nails, an English half-penny, a small part of a musket and several pieces of a large cast iron cook kettle that were found in a campfire pit.